Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Julie and Julia and Me

Tonight was date night! Unfortunately for you, it was date night with Blonde roommate. We had intended to go out and see a movie, but it is disgusting up here in NYC, so we stayed in with pizza and a movie on TV. The movie? Julie and Julia.

Duh, says Blonde as she reads over my shoulder.

Anyway, I figured it would be kind of funny to blog about a movie about a blog- it's very meta.

You're such a nerd! cries the peanut gallery.

As I was saying, it was a cute movie, and I especially liked the premise...

You mean promise...of love... swoons Blonde with a sarcastic sigh.

No, I mean premise, as in someone becoming rich and famous by writing a blog about something crappy in their life.

Yeah, whiny people get rich and famous!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Blonde. This shall be the last time we team blog.

Unless, of course, you loyal readers tell me you like it, and that you would buy a book of this particular form of hilarity and make me so rich that I forget about my miserable personal life...

Any takers?

Thought not.

In any case, another interesting fact that I learned from the movie is that the great and fabulous Julia Child herself was a virgin until the age of 40!

Is that 40 factorial?

Who's the nerd now, Blondie?!?!

So yes, Julia Child was also afflicted with this particular curse. And she cooks better than I do.

That's debatable...

Oh, that you're going to put in!

Of course I am, darling Blonde. My blog, my rules. And I like compliments.

Also, Paul Child was kind of a douche about her virginity. Take this passage from Laura Shapiro's Julia Child (thanks, Google Books!):

"Paul found Julia 'extremely likeable and pleasant to have around,' but he had no intention of pursuing her romantically. She was a virgin,  he reported to Charlie, [his twin brother] and probably afraid of sex- [...] Here, he decided, was 'the traditional old maid of song and story,' subconsciously obsessed with sex but unable to handle the reality. 'I feel very sorry for her because while I see clearly what the cure is, I do not see clearly who will apply it,' he wrote."

And this is the guy who married her?!?!? What the hell did the people who didn't marry her think of her?!?

I'm screwed...

In fact, you're not.

Well, date night is still young, my dear...

*Technorati Claim Code YKQT53ATBGZ8
If you're not from Technorati, please ignore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment